Thursday, May 04, 2006

We- a Rebel

A dad in a bollywoodian flick is bound to be flawy in the beginning, and a minister, bound to be shot dead at the end! I noticed it right from the first minister- chhap film i saw it was Akhree Raasta, but being the youngest in my family, i had no one to look up to! I later convinced myself that ministers are supposed to be immoral and/ or amorous and they are aptly shot in the middle/ end of the movie. Sometimes i used to enjoy when Sadashiv Amrapurkar's or our great "mogambo" Amrish Puri's body rolled on the floor weighing double with the lead punched in them by heroes almost equal to their weights.
Yes, portraying ministers as diabolic creatures and then killing them has been a norm in bollywood, call it a great deed if u wish. The hero is always right when he kills a minister, and he needs not be justified for his oh- so- heroic deed. Why r they not justified? Just now, my neighbour pointed that Pramod Mahajan Died, did it make any dx difference in our lives? There is a clean answer NO. Crystal clear. He was shot by his agitated brother who always had some revolver tucked in his pyjama (reminds me of Hindustani version of Clint eastwood!). Rang de Basnati Fans, sorry to poke you people, that till now you all were enigmatic about the idea of killing a poor (!) minister soul, but see, what has changed? nothing, who has changed? nothing and will anything change? You know the answer very well...
Nayak had Anil Kapoor trapped Amrish Puri and had him killed. Akhree rasta ended with Amitabh Bachchan killing Sadashiv Amrapurkar to avenge the death of his wife Jaya Prada.
It is the perennial problem of Bollywood that they always tend to romanticise any concept, let it be politics, war, love or a game. This is what a film like Rang De Basanti did. It converted even bunking classes to candy floss, and my generation swayed in unison with the song "Be a Rebel". I have two left feet, so i could not dance with them, but i tried to croon. But i could not sing, for, i need some lyrics to sing. Listen carefully to the lyrics, and i promise, this song will fade quickly. I may sound cocky, and the people may pelt stones at me for this, but then, i don't find the lyrics appropriate. It talks about the loser attitude of people, that bunking classes is all correct, and why? because the main protagonist wants to! So just to justify him, his friends sing this song, and did i forget the stanzas! They r indeed forgettable, soulless, cold and meaningless for a dud like me.
Comparing the whole issue of assassinating a minister equivalent to Bhagat Singh's Parliament- Bombing- Action was at best, childish. C'mon Mr. Rakeysh Mehra, you want me to accept this absurdity! It's like accepting paradoxes in mathematics as we started from a=b and ended on 1=2! I'd say Ha Ha Ha; loud and clear.
The question hence i want to raise is what is achieved by killing a poor minister? If you want to be a rebel, try to change yourself. If we all improve ourselves, we will be a rebel. I liked Yuva in this regard, it had the idea in it (The last reel where we find Ajay Devgan and Vivek Oberoy sitting in House, determined to change the system), similar to what i have reckoned till now. If we do not change our thinking patterns, killing a minister will never solve our problems, only the faces will change, nothing else, and faces are the last things on our minds to change.
I say, Rang De Basnati was too immature, and so was Akhree Raasta, and its likes. I am not impressed by Rang De Basanti, nor i'm happy with the news of death of a Minister.
It's We- A rebel that quenches me.

4 comments:

Sabya -C H A C H I said...

Good one.... well argued... and to the point too. I agree with your view buddy.

Anonymous said...

I dont know what to comment. However, I would say everything you have written in you blog is well expressed and you have awesome creativity..( you dont need my approval ...its just that I wanted to say)...Keep it up...

Swapnil Dixit said...

you write extremely well!

...but one dialogue does it all against you - these guys agree that they did a wrong thing. Can you explain in light of this dialouge what you think?

Nimesh said...

@ Swapnil Dixit:
Just saying sorry after killing a minister does not reverse the process. Someone is killed. Someone has to rectify the mistake. A sorry is nothing!
They said sorry in the end- and the film further portrayed them as martyrs- justice not done!